Riverside County Nursing Home Lawyer


Nursing Home Elder Abuse and Neglect Resources

Riverside County has approximately 52 of the nearly 1,200 nursing homes in the State of California. There are also 527 residential care facilities in the Inland Empire, most of those located in the cities of Riverside, Temecula, Moreno Valley, Cathedral City, Palm Springs, and Banning.

What is an Elder or Dependent Adult under California law?

The California Welfare and Institutions code defines an "elder" as any person over 65 years of age. The laws apply equally to a "dependent adults," which are defined as any person between ages 18 and 64 who has a physical limitation that restricts the ability to carry out normal activities, and is an inpatient at a hospital or nursing facility.

Identifying Elder Abuse in the Riverside County Area

Under California law, elder abuse and neglect is defined as "physical abuse, neglect, abandonment, isolation, abduction, or other treatment with resulting physical harm or pain or mental suffering, or the deprivation by a care custodian..." occurring in the hospital, nursing home, or assisted living setting. Any unexplained injury, illness, or death may be the result of abuse or neglect.

Here at Walton Law Firm, we see three primary types of cases: those involving falls and fractures, bed sores (decubitus ulcers), and physical abuse, whether it is by staff, or by a fellow resident. Anytime there is an unexplained injury, illness, or obvious change in condition, it might be a sign of abuse or neglect.

What to do if nursing home elder abuse is suspected in a Riverside County facility.

Abuse or neglect is frequently suspected long after the acts have occurred it is important to find a qualified Riverside County nursing home lawyer. In the case of physical abuse, it can be identified by unusual bruising or other markings on the body, or unusual behavior. Neglect is often recognized by any unusual medical problems such as decubitus ulcers (bed sores), dehydration, unexplained injuries or fractures, over medication, or other care-related injuries.

Contact Walton Law Firm. Riverside County nursing home lawyer attorney Randy Walton has 20 years of experience prosecuting cases of abuse and neglect in the nursing home and assisted living setting, and he provides free consultations in cases concerning such cases. He can be reached at (866) 607-1325 or by completing the online questionnaire.

Other ways to take action:

Emergencies. If you believe that someone is presently being abused or neglected it is important to act right away. If an emergency, call 911 or contact the individual's regular physician.

Ombudsman. The phone number of Riverside County Ombudsman Office can be obtained by calling (800) 231-4024.

Adult Protective Services. For immediate concerns about the health or wellbeing of an elderly Riverside resident, call Adult Protective Services at (800) 491-7123.

California Department of Public Health. For complaints about a skill nursing facility, contact the Riverside office of the California Department of Public Health. The local office of CDPH can be reached at (888) 354-9203.

California Department of Social Services. For complaints against a residential care facility for the elderly (or assisted living), contact the local office of the California Department of Social Services. The local office of CDSS can be contacted at (951) 782-4207.

Southern California Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Blog - Riverside Nursing Home