Orange County Nursing Home Elder Abuse Resources


Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect

Within the county border, Orange County has approximately 79 nursing homes that care for the elderly and for disabled adults. In addition, there are over 900 licensed residential care facilities in Orange County, most of those in the cities of Santa Ana, Fullerton, Anaheim, Mission Viejo, Buena Park, and Yorba Linda.

Who is an "Elder" under California law?

In California, an "elder" is defined as any person over 65 years of age. "Dependent adults" are also afforded protections under the same body of law, and are defined as any person between the ages of 18 and 64 who has a physical limitation that restricts his or her ability to carry out normal activities and is an inpatient at a hospital or nursing facility.

Identifying acts of elder abuse or neglect.

Under California law, nursing home elder abuse and neglect is defined as the "physical abuse, neglect, abandonment, isolation, abduction, or other treatment with resulting physical harm or pain or mental suffering, or the deprivation by a care custodian..." Any unexplained injury, illness, infection, or death may be the result of abuse or neglect.

Actions to take if you suspect abuse or neglect in an Orange County facility.

Frequently, elder abuse or neglect is suspected long after the acts have occurred. In the case of physical abuse, it can be identified by unusual bruising or other markings on the body, or unusual behavior. Neglect is often recognized by any unusual medical problems such as decubitus ulcers (bed sores), dehydration, unexplained injuries or fractures, over medication, or other care-related injuries.

Contact Walton Law Firm. The nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys at Walton Law Firm provide free consultations in cases of abuse, neglect, or malpractice in the nursing home or residential care setting. He can be reached at (866) 607-1325 or by completing the online questionnaire.

Other ways to take action:

Emergencies. If you believe that someone is presently being abused or neglected it is important to act right away. If an emergency, call 911 or contact the individual's regular physician.

Adult Protective Services. For immediate concerns about the health or wellbeing of an elderly Orange County resident, call Adult Protective Services at (800) 451-5155.

Ombudsman. The phone number of the Orange County Ombudsman Office can be obtained by calling (800) 231-4024.

California Department of Public Health. For complaints about a skill nursing facility, contact the Orange County office of the California Department of Public Health. The local office of CDPH can be reached at (800) 228-5243.

California Department of Social Services. For complaints against a residential care facility for the elderly (or assisted living), contact the local office of the California Department of Social Services. The local office of CDSS can be contacted at (714) 703-2840.

Southern California Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Blog - Elder Abuse