Santa Barbara County Nursing Home Abuse Resources

Nursing Home Elder Abuse and Neglect Resources

Santa Barbara County has 17 of the nearly 1,200 nursing homes in the State of California. There are also 131 care facilities and assisted living facilities in Ventura County, most located in the cities of Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Carpinteria, and Goleta.

What is Elder Neglect or Abuse?

In California, an "elder" is defined as any person over 65 years of age. The elder abuse laws apply equally to a "dependent adults," which are defined as any person between ages 18 and 64 who has a physical limitation that restricts the ability to carry out normal activities and is an inpatient at a hospital or nursing facility.

What is Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?

Under California law, nursing home abuse and neglect is defined as "physical abuse, neglect, abandonment, isolation, or other treatment with resulting physical harm or pain or mental suffering, or the deprivation by a care custodian..."

What to do if nursing home elder abuse is suspected in a Santa Barbara County facility.

It is not uncommon for abuse or neglect is suspected long after the acts have occurred. In the case of physical abuse, it can be identified by unusual bruising or other markings on the body, or unusual behavior. Neglect is often recognized by any unusual medical problems such as decubitus ulcers (bed sores), dehydration, unexplained injuries or fractures, over medication, or other care-related injuries.

Contact Walton Law Firm.  Santa Barbara County elder abuse attorney Randy Walton provides free consultations in cases concerning abuse, neglect, or malpractice in the nursing home or residential care setting. He can be reached at (866) 607-1325 or by completing the online questionnaire.

Other ways to take action:

Emergencies. If you believe that someone is presently being abused or neglected it is important to act right away. If an emergency, call 911 or contact the individual's regular physician.

Ombudsman. The phone number of a Santa Barbara County Ombudsman Office can be obtained by calling (800) 231-4024.

Adult Protective Services. For immediate concerns about the health or wellbeing of an elderly Santa Barbara County resident, call Adult Protective Services at (805) 681-4550 (Santa Barbara area), (805) 346-8303 (Santa Maria area).

California Department of Public Health. For complaints about a skill nursing facility, contact the Santa Barbara County office of the California Department of Public Health. The local office of CDPH can be reached at (805) 604-2926.

California Department of Social Services. For complaints against a residential care facility for the elderly (or assisted living), contact the local office of the California Department of Social Services. The local office of CDSS can be contacted at (805) 562-0400.