Justia Lawyer Rating
Super Lawyers
BBB Rating A+
Avvo Rating 10.0
Consumer Attorneys California
AV Preeminent

Imperial County Nursing Home Abuse Resources

Nursing Home Elder Abuse and Neglect Resources

Imperial County has only three of the nearly 1,200 nursing homes in the State of California. There are also five residential care facilities and assisted living facilities in Imperial County - mostly in the El Centro area - a small fraction of the more than 7,000 statewide. Our Imperial County nursing home abuse lawyers can bring claims on behalf of residents and family members affected by negligence or abuse.

Who qualifies as an "Elder" under California law?

Under the Welfare and Institutions Code, an "elder" is defined as any person 65 years of age or older. The laws apply equally to a "dependent adults," which are defined as any person between ages 18 and 64 who has a physical limitation that restricts his or her ability to carry out normal activities and is an inpatient at a hospital or nursing facility.

Identifying Elder Abuse.

Under California's Elder Abuse Act, nursing home elder abuse and neglect is defined as "physical abuse, neglect, abandonment, isolation, abduction, or other treatment with resulting physical harm or pain or mental suffering, or the deprivation by a care custodian..." A nursing home abuse attorney can advise Imperial County residents on whether this type of conduct may have happened.

Do you suspect abuse or neglect in an Imperial County facility?

Frequently, abuse or neglect is suspected long after the acts have occurred. In the case of physical abuse, it can be identified by unusual bruising or other markings on the body, or unusual behavior. Neglect is often recognized by any unusual medical problems such as decubitus ulcers (bed sores), dehydration, unexplained injuries or fractures, over medication, or other care-related injuries.

Any unexplained injury, illness, infection, or death may be the result of abuse or neglect.

Contact Walton Law Firm. Imperial County nursing home abuse attorney Randy Walton  provides free consultations in cases concerning elder abuse, neglect, or malpractice in the nursing home or residential care setting. He can be reached at 866-607-1325 or by completing the online questionnaire.

Other ways to take action:

Emergencies. If you believe that someone is presently being abused or neglected it is important to act right away. If an emergency, call 911 or contact the individual's regular physician.

Ombudsman. The phone number of an Imperial County Ombudsman Office can be obtained by calling (800) 231-4024.

Adult Protective Services. For immediate concerns about the health or wellbeing of an elderly Imperial County resident, call Adult Protective Services at (760) 337-7878.

California Department of Public Health. For complaints about a skill nursing facility, contact the Imperial County office of the California Department of Public Health. The local office of CDPH can be reached at (866) 706-0759 (San Diego South).

California Department of Social Services. For complaints against a residential care facility for the elderly (or assisted living), contact the local office of the California Department of Social Services. The local office of CDSS can be contacted at (619) 767-3200 (San Diego office).

Client Reviews
"Walton Law Firm was amazing. Very professional, but personal. Having a lawyer to make sure that everything is taken care of removed so much stress." - Wayne G., Encinitas
"After my husband was killed in a motorcycle accident, Randy was there from the moment I first called." - Suzanne S., Escondido
"Calling Randy was the best decision I could have made. He got me an excellent settlement that covered all my medical bills and put a sizable chunk of money in my pocket." - Erik S., San Marcos
"Truly as good as it gets, if not beyond great, for Randy Walton and his paralegal Sarah Earnest. He and she are both incredibly dedicated to what they do and I never felt I couldn't trust him." - Natalie T., Lake Elsinore
"Randy is a great lawyer and a better person. He went above and beyond the call of duty to reach a settlement in my case. He believed in my case when no one else did." - David C., San Diego