to make you whole
Improper Passing Accidents
Improper passing accidents are more dangerous than many people might think. Vehicle occupants and motorcyclists can sustain serious and fatal injuries when another vehicle passes improperly and causes a side-swipe accident or another type of collision, especially at higher speeds on a freeway. An improper passing accident can lead one or more vehicles to spin out of control, and these types of crashes can also lead to rollover accidents. If another motorist’s negligence caused an improper passing accident, you should get in touch with an improper passing accidents lawyer as soon as possible to find out about your options for seeking compensation.How Improper Passing Accidents Happen
When a motorist is traveling on a multi-lane road and wants to pass another vehicle, that passing driver is required to pass on the left side and at a safe distance while also obeying speed limits. If it is not possible to pass on the left at a safe distance and speed, then passing is not appropriate and the passing driver could cause a crash.
Nearly all improper passing accidents happen because of a driver’s negligence or carelessness. For example, improper passing wrecks may occur because of one of the following scenarios:
- Passing driver does not have a safe distance to merge into the left lane to pass another vehicle and collides with a vehicle in the lane into which that passing driver attempts to merge;
- Passing driver follows too closely behind a vehicle to pass and crashes into that vehicle when it comes to a sudden stop;
- Passing driver must travel at too high a speed to safely pass another vehicle and loses control of his or her car;
- Passing driver does not see a space to pass on the left and improperly attempts to pass on the right, leading to a blind-spot collision; or
- Passing driver fails to see another oncoming vehicle in the left lane due to a blind spot or failure to properly use mirrors, and collides with that vehicle.
Each state has laws that govern safe driving practices, and motorists owe a duty of care to other drivers on the road. Whenever you get behind the wheel of your vehicle, you must behave as a reasonable driver would under the circumstances. If a motorist does not behave reasonably and causes a collision, such as by improperly attempting to pass another car, that motorist can be found negligent and responsible for damages.Statute of Limitations for Filing a Claim
Every state has a statute of limitations that applies to car accident claims, including improper passing accident lawsuits. Under California law, for example, most injured parties have two years from the date of the accident to file a negligence claim.Contact an Improper Passing Accident Attorney Today
If you or someone you love got hurt in an improper passing accident, you should know that you may be eligible to seek financial compensation. Whether through an auto insurance claim or a car accident lawsuit, an experienced improper passing accident lawyer can help you to seek the compensation you need and deserve. Contact the Walton Law Firm for more information about getting started on your claim.