to make you whole
Vista Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Did you know that California has the highest rate of pedestrian fatalities in the country? An article in the Los Angeles Times reported that the state of California has had more pedestrian deaths than any other state over the last several years, and the population has not increased. Generally speaking, the infrastructure could be improved for pedestrians throughout North County, including Vista, but we have also seen a rise in distracted drivers and other negligent behaviors from motorists that lead to deadly pedestrian collisions. A dedicated Vista pedestrian accident lawyer can discuss your options with you and can help you to learn more about achieving compensation for your devastating losses.
At the Walton Law Firm, we know it can be extremely difficult to think about filing a lawsuit when you have recently suffered a serious injury or lost a loved one in a preventable pedestrian accident. However, California law only gives survivors a limited amount of time to file a claim, and it is important to hold the negligent party (or parties) responsible.Get the Facts: Pedestrian Accidents and Fatalities
How often do pedestrian accident injuries and fatalities occur? What are some of the primary causes of these collisions? Having helped many victims in the Vista area, our pedestrian accident attorneys have seen many forms of carelessness by drivers. A fact sheet from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) provides some of the following information about pedestrian deaths in California and throughout the country:
- 4,735 pedestrians suffered fatalities in 2014, and 66,000 sustained serious injuries in collisions;
- More than 4,600 traffic collisions result in at least one pedestrian fatality every year;
- Every two hours in the U.S., a pedestrian is killed in a motor vehicle crash;
- 73% of pedestrian fatalities happen in urban areas;
- Nearly 70% of pedestrian accident deaths occur outside of intersections;
- Around 20% of recorded pedestrian fatalities happen at intersections;
- 10% of deadly pedestrian crashes occur in non-road areas, such as in parking lanes, bicycle lanes, sidewalks, medians, driveways, and road shoulders;
- About 72% of all pedestrian fatalities happen at dusk or in the dark;
- Highest number of deadly pedestrian collisions occur between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.;
- Average age of a pedestrian fatality victim is 46 years old;
- More than 20% of kids under the age of 15 who die in traffic collisions are pedestrians;
- Males account for about two-thirds of all pedestrian fatality victims; and
- Alcohol involvement is reported in nearly 50% of all pedestrian deaths (involving motorist alcohol consumption and/or pedestrian alcohol consumption).
Filing a lawsuit for personal injury or wrongful death claim in San Diego County must be done within two years of the date of the accident, sometimes sooner of the negligent party is a public entity, such as a city, school district, some other governmental agency. In the case of a pedestrian fatality, Wrongful Death law allows the survivors to recover for their own personal loss with the assistance of a pedestrian accident lawyer in Vista.
In an accident in Vista, or the surrounding cities like Oceanside, Carlsbad, or San Marcos, the venue for the lawsuit would be Superior Court, located at the well-known Vista Courthouse.
California law requires those injured in a pedestrian accident, or survivors to file a wrongful death claim within the two-year statute of limitations. This means that the lawsuit must commence within two years from the date of the accident or the death, or the claimant will be forever barred.Seek Advice from a Vista Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, it is important to speak with an experienced lawyer who has represented pedestrians injury in the Vista area as soon as possible. An advocate at the Walton Law Firm can speak with you today about your options. We are located in central North County, and provide all consultations free of charge.