San Marcos Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
In California, pedestrian accidents involving injuries and deaths have been rising. Between 2019 and 2022, data from the Governor’s Highway Safety Association (GHSA) shows that pedestrian fatalities have risen by almost 10% with a total of more than 500 deaths. The overall rate of pedestrian accident injuries and fatalities is significantly higher in California than elsewhere in the country, and the state has a pedestrian fatality rate of 1.29 deaths for every 100,000 people, compared with a national average of 1.04 pedestrian deaths for every 100,000 people. In general, pedestrian accidents are increasing across the country in urban, suburban, and rural areas. There are many different causes of these accidents, and causation will ultimately determine liability.
If you or someone you love got hurt in a pedestrian accident, it is important to seek legal advice so that you can move forward with a claim for financial compensation. An experienced San Marcos pedestrian accident attorney at our firm can help.Causes of San Marcos Pedestrian Accidents
San Marcos has many busy roads, especially San Marcos Blvd, Ranch Santa Fe, Mission, and Nordahl. And along those roads are several schools and colleges, and numerous shopping centers that attract both drivers and pedestrians alike. But what actually causes most pedestrian accidents in San Marcos? Over the years, there have been say pedestrian injuries and deaths on those roads, and the causes are usually one of the following:
- Negligent motorists crashing into pedestrians due to distracted driving (or sometimes distracted walking), intoxicated driving, drowsy driving, or aggressive driving;
- Negligent bicyclists crashing into pedestrians;
- Damaged walking paths for pedestrians where slips, trips, and falls occur;
- Vehicle defects resulting in collisions with pedestrians; and
- Faulty or defective street signals resulting in pedestrian collisions with motor vehicles.
Pedestrian accidents can result in many types of injuries that can range in severity, such as:
- Head trauma, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Neck injuries, including spinal cord injuries (SCIs);
- Fractures or broken bones;
- Internal bleeding and organ damage;
- Traumatic amputations;
- Abrasions; and
What can you do to prevent a pedestrian accident in San Marcos? Both drivers and pedestrians can take important steps to avoid injuries. The following are tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for pedestrians to consider:
- Always walk on the sidewalk when there is a sidewalk;
- Do not jaywalk;
- Avoid distracted or intoxicated walking;
- Make yourself visible to motorists by wearing light or bright clothes or reflective material, or by carrying a flashlight with you while you are walking;
- Always pay attention to street signs indicating when to walk or to cross;
- Cross in crosswalks when they are available;
- Look both ways and back again before you cross a street; and
- If you can, make eye contact with an oncoming driver before you cross the street.
Do you need assistance with a pedestrian accident lawsuit? The dedicated San Marcos personal injury lawyers at our firm can help. We can talk with you today to learn more about your injuries and to help determine liability in your case. Contact the Walton Law Firm to get started on your pedestrian accident claim.