to make you whole
North County Highway 78 Accidents
Auto accidents happen much too often on Highway 78 in Oceanside and Carlsbad, through San Marcos to Escondido, and out to Ramona and Julian. Notorious for its gridlock, many residents of North County commute to work on Highway 78, but this is also a route for large trucks transporting materials along its West-East route. Given that motorcycles are also popular in Southern California, our North County car accident attorneys have seen that motorcycle accidents also occur with unfortunate frequency along the 78.
Motor vehicle collisions usually happen because of the carelessness of a driver. If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a North County Highway 78 accident, you should reach out to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible to learn your rights to compensation, whether it requires a claim with an insurance company, or the filing of a lawsuit.Get the Facts About Car Accidents Along Highway 78 in North County
The San Diego Union Tribune and other news outlets often report on serious and fatal North County Highway 78 accidents, such as a recent report in which the California Highway Patrol responded to an overturned vehicle. Or this accident involving a motorcyclist who suffered fatal injuries with riding on the 78.
How often do motor vehicle collisions occur throughout San Diego County, and what are some of the primary causes of these crashes? According to a fact sheet from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), the following statistics show the severity of crashes along Highway 78 and throughout the general area in 2014, the last year of reported data:
- More than 19,000 individuals were injured or killed in motor vehicle accidents;
- Nearly 12% of all nonfatal injury and deadly crashes involved at least one drunk driver;
- Less than 1% of drunk drivers involved in crashes were under the age of 21;
- Age group with the highest rate of DUI-related collisions is 21-34, accounting for more than 4% of all serious and fatal accidents;
- Motorcycles and motorcyclists are victims of nonfatal injury accidents and fatal collisions in about 8% of all recorded crashes;
- Pedestrians are injured or killed in about 6% of all reported auto accidents;
- Pedestrians under the age of 15 and over the age of 65 are at greater risk of injury in a pedestrian accident;
- Bicyclists are injured or killed in 5.5% of auto accidents in the county;
- About 23% of all accidents result from, or involve, driving at excessive speeds;
- Almost 10% of all collisions occur between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 2:59 a.m.; and
- Approximately 6% of the reported collisions are labeled as hit and run accidents.
When individuals get hurt in North County Highway 78 accidents, it is important to speak to a North County attorney as soon as possible to ensure that you file your claim within the statute of limitations period. Under California law (California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1), personal injury plaintiffs harmed by another party’s negligence have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you do not file your claim within this two-year deadline, you can lose your right to seek compensation. It is important to talk to a Highway 78 accident lawyer right away.Contact North County’s Top Personal Injury Attorney
Were you or someone you love injured in an accident on Highway 78? Attorney Randy Walton would be glad to speak with you free of charge to discuss your case, and recommend the best course of action for a recovery. Please call 760-571-5500 or fill out the online case questionnaire.