to make you whole
Carlsbad Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian accidents can occur almost anywhere in the Carlsbad area, whether in the Village, along Carlsbad Boulevard, or one of the many residential neighborhoods, and they can range widely in terms of their severity. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), pedestrian deaths in motor vehicle collisions are at a high point, and the fatality rate has risen by about 80 percent over the last decade. Urban areas are the most dangerous places for pedestrians, but these injuries can occur in suburban and rural areas, as well. After a pedestrian accident, one or more parties may be liable for damages, and you could be eligible to file a claim. You should get in touch with an experienced Carlsbad pedestrian accident lawyer who can help.Getting the Facts About Carlsbad Pedestrian Accidents
The IIHS and the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) provide the following facts about pedestrian accidents:
- Nearly 7,400 pedestrians were killed in 2021, which represented a 13% increase from the previous year;
- Pedestrian deaths account for almost 20% of all traffic fatalities;
- More than 14,000 pedestrians are injured in accidents every year in California; and
- California has the highest rate of pedestrian deaths in the country, and pedestrians are killed at a rate that is nearly 25 higher than the current national average.
When a pedestrian accident occurs in Carlsbad, who is liable? Liability will depend upon the circumstances and facts surrounding the accident. Parties who could be liable include, for example:
- Motorist or driver of a car, truck, or SUV;
- Owner of the property where the pedestrian accident occurred;
- Bicyclist who was negligent and caused an accident; or
- Designer, manufacturer, or retailer of a defective vehicle or part that caused the accident.
To determine liability in your case, you should speak directly with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Carlsbad.How to Avoid a Pedestrian Accident in Carlsbad
How can pedestrians avoid an accident? Consider the following tips:
- Wear clothing that makes you visible, and carry a flashlight with you at night;
- Walk on a sidewalk where one is available;
- Avoid jaywalking;
- Never walk after consuming alcohol;
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing a street;
- Avoid distractions, such as talking or texting on a phone while walking;
- Abide by crosswalk and street signs; and
- Always look before you cross the street (look “left-right-left,” according to the California OTS).
Most injured pedestrians will have two years under California law to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit. But it is always important to discuss your case with a qualified lawyer promptly after an accident, because a shorter time period could apply.Contact a Carlsbad Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
Pedestrian accidents occur with some frequency in Southern California, and negligent motorists are often at fault. If you were injured in a pedestrian collision or if someone you love was hurt while walking in the Carlsbad area, it is important to seek help from one of our experienced Carlsbad pedestrian accident lawyers. We help people all over North County. Contact the Walton Law Firm today for additional information.